Opus and the Ponemon Institute revealed results of Ponemon Institute’s “Data Risk in the Third-Party Ecosystem” study. Over 1,000 CISOs and risk professionals across the US and UK were surveyed about third-party suppliers and partners and protecting shared sensitive information. Key insights to consider:
- 59% of companies said they have experienced a data breach caused by a third-party supplier or partner.
- It is higher in the US with 61%, an increase of 5% over last year, and a 12% increase since 2016.
- Several breaches are not known, with 22% admitting being unaware of any third-party data breach in the past 12 months.
- Less than half indicate that managing third-party relationship risks is effective and a priority within their organization.
- Only 37% indicate they have sufficient resources to manage third-party relationships; 35% rate their third-party risk management program as highly effective. More than 50% are unaware if supplier safeguards put in place are effective enough.
The open access report can be downloaded here.